Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The 268 Generation, revised

My best friend Laura leaves on Thursday for Army boot camp. While I am so proud of her, I'm sad that she's leaving and that we won't even be able to talk to each other for a while. And though this isn't about me, I'm still frustrated that I don't know what I'm doing in August, while Laura knows what she's doing for the next three years and 20 weeks. Or at least that whatever she's doing, that she'll be doing it for the Army, earning good money and serving her country.

So does that mean I want to join the military? I haven't decided. Maybe. But we can all agree that I need to lose weight before I do that, and I honestly don't know if they would take me anyway. The screw in my foot makes it questionable...if I can't get in, I can always take it out, but there is no guarantee that will work either. Also, I have carpal tunnel, and I don't think it just goes away on its own. Laura and I were doing pushups last night, and honestly, as hard as it was to do full-body pushups, it would have been a lot easier if my wrists and forearms didn't hurt while I did it.

So enough about how my body is already falling apart...When I got home last night after hanging out with Laura for one of our last nights, I started praying about the whole thing. My lack of direction, my desire to do the right thing and be in the right place, that Laura can survive basic and being away from Wes...and then I opened my Bible. I just got a new version of the Message and read Jeremiah 29:10-14. Part of it says: "When you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed--GOD's Decree." Just hearing the same thing in a different way was very reassuring.

But what really made the difference in my attitude was Isaiah 26:8. This is one of my very favorite verses because it succintly sums up how we should leave and what we live for. In the NIV, it opens with "Yes, Lord." Louie Giglio (creator of Passion, oneday, etc.) says that should be our answer, no matter what the question. In the Message, it says, "We're in no hurry, GOD. We're content to linger in the path sign-posted with your decisions. Who you are and what you've done are all we'll ever want." Am I content to linger right now? No way. But the Bible says I should be...content to wait for God to show me what's coming next. And I know it will be exciting, though I still feel somewhat impatient.

And that doesn't mean I can just sit back and wait. Of course, I need to be searching for a job. Wherever. Doing whatever. And the military? That might be an option. And if I want to consider it, I have to get in shape...physically AND spiritually. So, guys, pray for me! I have major decisions coming and I want to be ready.

No comments: