Friday, June 10, 2005

Content to linger

I have said several times lately that I feel like I am the only one who doesn't have their stuff together. When Katie got married, I was like, at least everyone knows who they'll spend the rest of their life with! When Laura & Wes left for boot camp, I was like, at least everyone knows what they want to do! Oh, how I wish I was writing to say that I now can count myself a member of both of these groups!

I AM writing to say how incredibly self-centered those comments were. Katie & Josh got married...but they're trying hard to find out where and how to make a living - especially doing something they LIKE and would gladly spend the rest of their lives doing. Laura & Wes joined the Army...but the Army gives them a whole other set of problems, not the least of which is where they will be stationed and if they will be together. Missa & Joel have made a life in Germany...but they are trying to decide what the next step is - stay in the military or focus on Missa's career (and where should she do THAT?). Rachel has started her new life in Indianapolis...but moving means that she has to find friends, a church, where to spend her free time, and new places to shop! :o)

See? How silly of me to think I am the only one with questions about the future! And the more I think about it, the more I feel that God is just telling me to wait...He has great things in store. I was telling a friend just today about how incredibly God answers prayer. I prayed for years for reconciliation with someone close to me, especially because I had no hope of it happening. When God provided, He astounded me with His manner of doing so. And how bad things in life always bring about the good - isn't that totally awesome?

Have any of you read "In His Steps" by Charles Sheldon? One of his relatives later wrote "What Would Jesus Do?" which was a modern telling of the same story that led to the WWJD fad in the 90s. Anyway, "In His Steps" doesn't ask what Jesus would do...it asks: what would Jesus have ME do? To me, that's a completely different question. How does Jesus want me to live my life? The book is about several people who answer that question and write down several things about their lives they would change if they let that question guide their lives. I want to live like that. I want to live for God's glory...

"God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him" - John Piper. Isaiah 26:8! My thoughts come full-circle. When I depend on God, when I wait on Him for the "best" instead of doing the "good", I am more satisfied...AND He is more glorified in me!

"We're in no hurry, Lord. We're content to linger in the path sign-posted with your decisions. Who you are and what you've done are all we'll ever want."

Thanks for traveling this thought process with me today, my friends. I had planned to be light-hearted today because my last post was serious, but my thoughts couldn't wait to get on paper...well, in print. I promise more levity in the future!

No comments: