Monday, August 08, 2005

One after the other

So I had an interview this morning at the magazine for an editing position. And it went well! I'm still not sure if that's what I want to do, but it does sound good. I would be writing, editing, interviewing...all of it. BUT I'm not all that fond of writing. That's why I want to stay away from magazine publishing because most of the time you have to do everything if you want to do anything. I am definitely left-brained - I don't like to do the creative writing, etc...I got into English as a major because I like grammar, not writing. I am definitely capable of writing (I was reading over some of my college papers, and I liked them! Definitely a whole lot better than I did when I was writing them), but it's not what I love.

The other opening was for a job at UCS, the computer company I worked for before I interned at the magazine (did I say that earlier?). I would be a "Documentation Trainee" - basically a technical writer. At about 1 p.m., I was talking to my recruiter and I agreed to meet at 2:30 to do some prelim questions. I guess I wasn't really thinking about time because I sat down and started doing some work for NYLF, until I realized that I was dressed for an interview at a magazine...not at a VERY conservative company! I mean, so conservative, I thought it was necessary to put a band-aid over the tattoo on my upper calf and only put in one pair of earrings, instead of the regular two pairs. So I rushed to change and get down there.

Sidenote: Technical writing is very different from what I'd be doing at the magazine. Writing for UCS would be writing manuals for the computer systems they do for car dealerships. I would first have to learn the ENTIRE UCS system so I would understand what I was writing about (4 months training!), so the reason that I'm a little hesitant is the commitment that I would feel obligated to then make (for personal ethical reasons, not because of UCS).

I expected only to meet with my recruiter, but she checked with the supervisor from the department I'd be working in and she was available. After meeting with the supervisor, she called down her boss (the manager of the department), who was sorta a friend. He is sooo nice and he would come into the travel agency and just talk with us sometimes. So the interview with him was really informal. Then he wanted me to go upstairs and do a writing sample, since most of my work is from the magazine. I had to write instructions on how to withdraw $20 from an ATM.

Right after I'd started working on that, he comes back and asked me to talk with the senior manager, since he was about to leave. He didn't have all that many questions for me...just about how I used to work at UCS and how I felt about the position. Then I started working on the sample again, when the manager comes back to take me to the senior VP's office! I didn't really talk about much with him - he just wanted to know how I felt about technical writing, then he chatted with me about his time in college.

I finally got to go back to the writing sample...then the lights went out! And of course, I hadn't saved my work! So I got to do it all over again. Not as good as the first time around, but okay. My impression from the day: if they were THAT eager to have me meet everyone, they must want me. NONE of these meetings were scheduled for today, except with the recruiter. And I know that nothing happens quickly around UCS!

I think I had the supervisor on my side when she found out I had accounting experience. They especially need someone who can handle the accounting software manuals, and most writers aren't that mathematically inclined. But she's talking to the gal who was trying to double-major in math and English! (Until I found out I couldn't...I would have to get two degrees.) She actually TOLD me that I had her vote!

If I had nothing to go on but company alone, I would say that I would enjoy the job at UCS better. I'm not sure I'm cut out for a small company, like that at the magazine. From my experience with small companies, you sort of make your own training. They tell you what they remember you need to know. At a company like UCS, there are procedures in place to make sure you know everything you need to know - there are classes, manuals, etc. to get you trained. Much less frustrating for someone like me! I am most happy when I know what's expected of me or what's coming ahead, which was not the case when I was at the magazine. That's not to say that I don't like a little spontaneity, but only in small amounts. And NOT about important things.

If I ever wondered (which I don't) about God's hand in things, I wouldn't anymore! How could a day go more smoothly as far as interviews go? As I met with person after person at UCS, I knew that there was Someone more powerful at work than just a couple people who were eager to fill a position. Thank You, Lord!

No comments: