Monday, April 03, 2006

Family is the greatest

Isn't it funny how quickly time can get away from you? When my sister and her family came over this weekend, I realized I hadn't seen her in over a month, and I hardly ever talk to her on the phone because of our different schedules.

And because I was incredibly burnt from working crazy hours and my commitments at church, I had backed away from everything, even my family. I was loving that I have had no evening commitments, but I decided that had to change for me to have a life.

So now, every Monday night, I make the trek to my sister's house so I can have dinner with her and her family. (1) I love my nephews and niece. (see "My Wonderful Nephew" blog for a pic of them all.) Having time with them is great. (2) My sister is a great cook. I don't know why I didn't get the same creative genes she has, but I'm sure glad that I get to benefit sometimes!

(3) It's much easier to make a commitment on Monday night than to commit to going out on Saturday or Sunday. Weekends are break time, so it's hard to get in the car and travel to her house - when there's projects looming over my head at the house and too much sleeping in to accomplish. On Mondays, I'm not at home, so I can just continue on from work. Also, on the weekends, there's no telling how long I'll be at Dana's. I'm not saying that's a bad thing (not in the least!), but it makes it hard to get other things done. On Mondays, the kids go to bed at 8:30, and I have to work the next day, so I can't stay too incredibly long.

It's a win/win/win situation. I get to develop my relationships with my nephews and niece, I get to hang with my sister, I get to eat her good cookin', and I can spend more time with my family than just the occasional weekend.

No comments: